This page is for Tresorit for Business Account Owners and Admins who manage user accounts for a company, team, or organization. If you are looking for information on how to delete your own personal Tresorit Account, visit the How do I delete my Tresorit account? article.
When a user leaves your organization, Admins have the option to remove their account from your organization’s Tresorit for Business account. But at this point, Admins are not able to completely delete the user’s account. On this page, we’ll walk you through the steps you should take to protect your data when an employee or team member leaves your organization. Please note that only the Owner and Admins can remove users from a Tresorit for Business account.
Important: First things first, as a Tresorit for Business admin, you should review what kind of data the user has access to. Start by transferring the ownership of tresors to yourself or another trusted user, if needed, make sure to download the data you want to save from the user’s account and consider using the remote wipe option to completely remove private data from the devices where the user was logged in.
*It is important to note that some of these features are only available to Tresorit for Business users who have access to Advanced Control features.
Before you begin
What happens when you remove a user’s Tresorit account?
When you remove a user from your organization’s Tresorit for Business account, you give up all control functions over that account. The account will still exist, so unless you change the user’s access rights, they will still be able to log in and access the data they previously had permission to access.
Can Admins recover user accounts that were removed from the Business Account?
No, removing an account from your organization’s Business Account cannot be reversed. If things are uncertain, please consider only ‘Suspending’ the user. You can learn more about the benefits of this process and get a quick how-to guide in this article.
Take these steps to prevent data loss when a user is removed from your organization’s Tresorit for Business Account
- Review tresors - Admins can review the tresor membership status of all users in their Business Account.
- If your organization has Advanced Control switched on, we recommend you follow these tips as a part of any off-boarding process:
- Collect the name of the tresors created by the user. Request an ownership transfer as a part of the off-boarding process in cases where the user is listed as the “Owner” of the tresor.
- List tresors where the user is a member (Manager, Editor or Viewer) and review the list of other members. Managers will be able to remove the user from these tresors easily, or the affected user can also leave these tresors on their own.
- Remote wipe devices - This tab lists all devices where the user logged into Tresorit.
- When the content off-boarding is completed by following the previous step, and the ownership have been transferred to other users and permissions are sorted, Admins can remote wipe any of the devices the user used to access their Tresorit account.
- The device will get unlinked, and all locally synced data can be remote wiped from the users' devices if Advanced Control is on.
- Please note that the deletion will only happen when the user is logged into Tresorit on a device and the device has network connection.
- End web sessions - This tab lists all sessions where the user logged in to the Tresorit Web Access.
- Each session can be removed from the list (and unlinked from the users' account).
If you would like to learn more about unlinking devices or ending web sessions as an Admin, please visit this article.
Consider other ways to export data
There may be cases when you can’t build your off-boarding strategy with the assumption that the User will collaborate in the process. There are 2 ways you can still get access to the data they created under your organization’s hood.
- Request any member of the user’s tresors (one member from each tresor) to sync the complete tresor to their local device and when syncing is done, turn sync off. The data will get duplicated this way, but the user who is about to leave the company will still have access to it. Use remote wipe to prevent access.
- Access your Tresorit for Business User’s account by resetting the user’s password. This feature will come in handy if the off-boarding process is timely or if Admins need to take immediate action without the user’s contribution.
- Please note that this feature is only available if Advanced Control was switched on in your account. For now, only the Owner of the organization’s Business Account will be able to reset another users’ password.
- Learn more about this feature via our Knowledge Base Article.
Thank you for your attention. If you have any questions or feedback, please always feel free to contact us.