How to install Tresorit on Linux
- Download the installer (tresorit_installer.run) from https://tresorit.com/download/linux
- Start the installer which is a simple sh script. It is not recommended to run it with super user privileges — don't type sudo, unless you're perfectly aware what you're doing.
💡 Why is that? Tresorit works in a root environment, but it does not require root privileges and is designed to work just as perfectly when run by a regular user. As a security company, we always like to take our customers IT security seriously. It is a general security practice (called principle of least privilege) to give only the required permissions to an application or user account that it needs to function properly. This is why we advise our user to do the same for our application as well. User-mode applications pose less risk to your and other users' data even if they misbehave for any reason.
- For example via terminal simply run the following command to run the script:
Alternatively you can make the installer executable and then run it:
- Follow the instructions.
What is this .run file?
The tresorit_installer.run is simply a shell script that extracts the necessary files to the installation directory (usually ~/.local/share/tresorit). You can check the contents of the file with your favorite text editor (for example Gedit or Vim).
Why is there no .deb or .rpm package?
We're aiming to support all Linux distributions and the universal installer script file should in work on everywhere, while the .deb or .rpm packages only work on Debian or Fedora based distributions, respectively.
Installing a package would normally require super user privileges, which is not recommended for installing Tresorit.
How can I verify the installer?
- The second line in the installer scripts contain the RSASSA-PSS (SHA512) signature of the rest of the file.
- We always use a specific RSA4096 key to sign the scripts, see it below.
- Tresorit checks the signature on every version update.
- If you are installing Tresorit manually, you can check the signature with the following script:
Please check the attached document at the bottom of this Support article.
Starting the application
- Start from the Menu: If Tresorit doesn't show up in your Menu after install log out, then log in to your account again. If the issue persists, modify the Categories line in the by changing Accessories to Accessory and Utilities to Utility.
- Start from command line: , or create a symbolic link into a directory in your .
- Create desktop shortcut:
There is no system tray icon
On Ubuntu + Unity the system tray has changed since version 14.04. If you want to see Tresorit in your system tray, please execute the following commands (source: http://www.webupd8.org/2015/05/on-demand-system-tray-for-ubuntu.html)
For Ubuntu 14.04:
After you're done, restart Unity (log out then log in again). The Indicator Systemtray Unity should start automatically (but it won't show up on the panel until you launch an app that uses a tray icon).
How to revert the changes
In case you want to remove Indicator Systemtray Unity, use the following command (don't use a simple "remove" because it won't remove the app files from /etc !):
Command line options
Run(or ) to see the list of available command line options. (Tresorit application's path may vary depending on what you choose when installing Tresorit.)
Syncing more than 8000 folders
There is a limitation in the Linux kernel that limits the number of directories that can be simultaneously watched (with inotify) to 8192 by default. To override this setting, run the following command in the terminal.
Still have questions left? Drop us a line