The following instructions only apply to users of paid individual subscriptions.
How come that I cannot just change my email address?
For technical and security reasons, it is not possible to change the name and email address associated with your account. When you sign up, we include your name and email address in several security certificates that keep your account safe.
Sometimes however, changing an email address is necessary. In these cases if you have a paid individual subscription you can achieve your goal with our account transfer feature.
Limitations of the account transfer
- In case of an individual subscription it can only be transferred to another individual subscription. If you are invited to a business subscription, but already have a Tresorit account with the same email address, we recommend to read this article: Joining a team subscription
- In case you are using Tresorit’s syncing capabilities: the sync paths to your local folders won’t be transferred to the new account. In case you are syncing a large number of folders, please reach out to email@example.com .
Steps of the process
To be able to transfer your account you need to create a new Tresorit account with your new email address. We advise you to create a trial account with the same individual plan you had earlier. After the successful and complete transfer, please reach out to our Support Team (firstname.lastname@example.org ) to transfer your previous subscription to your new account.
- Access your profile page from any of our applications or login to our web application and go directly to http://web.tresorit.com/account/profile once you are there click Start transfer in the Transfer account section.
- First you need to authenticate with your password and click Next. In case you set up 2-step verification you also have to submit that credential and click Continue.
You need to enter both the email address and the password to your new account and click Next.
If you have already activated 2-step verification for the new account you will be prompted to authenticate via the preferred method.
After that you can see your source and target addresses and you are prompted to confirm the action by clicking Continue.
- The progress of the transfer will be shown on the interface. You can optionally revoke your devices and web sessions. It will revoke all access, except the current one in the Tresorit web application.
After the process is finished you can see a list of folders which could not be transferred.
You can either click Done to simply close this window, or you can click Show not transferred folders to navigate to the remaining folders in the Tresorit web application.
🏆 Pro tip: Don’t forget to check the data which could not be transferred and back it up in case it needs to be stored.
In case all the necessary data was either transferred or backed up, you can delete your old account which you won’t need any more.
The transferred folders will be listed under the Transferred section in the new account, where the email address of the previous account will also be visible.