The following instructions only apply to users of Business Plus and Enterprise subscriptions.
How come that I cannot just change my email address?
For technical and security reasons, it is not possible to change the name and email address associated with your account. When you sign up, we include your name and email address in several security certificates that keep your account safe.
Sometimes however, changing an email address is a necessary. In these cases if you are a member in a business subscription with Business Plus or Enterprise plan, you can achieve your goal with an account transfer.
Prerequisites of the account transfer
- In a business subscription the account transfer can be only initiated if the new account already exists in the same business subscription as your current account.
- Both the current and the new account need to belong to verified domains. The administrator of the subscription can verify email domains in the Admin Center: How to verify your email domain
- The administrators (owner, co-owner and co-admin) are also allowed to transfer their accounts, but the transfer is limited to the data, therefore the applied admin role cannot be transferred, it can only be revoked and reassigned by admin action in the Admin Center.
- In case you are using Tresorit’s syncing capabilities: the sync paths to your local folders won’t be transferred to the new account. In case you are syncing a large number of folders, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Due to technical reasons, if Single Sign-On is already activated for the new account you cannot transfer data to it and an error message will appear.
- There are certain items which cannot be transferred this way, e.g. the Other Uploads folder, items stored outside of folders, data related to encrypted emails.
Steps of the process
- Access your profile page from any of our applications or login to our web application and go directly to http://web.tresorit.com/account/profile once you are there click Start transfer in the Transfer account section.
- First you need to authenticate with your password and click Next. In case you set up 2-step verification you also have to submit that credential and click Continue.
- You need to enter both the email address and the password to your new account and click Next.
If you have already activated 2-step verification for the new account you will be prompted to authenticate via the preferred method.
- After that you can see your source and target addresses and you are prompted to confirm the action by clicking Continue.
- The progress of the transfer will be shown on the interface. You can optionally revoke your devices and web sessions. It will revoke all access, except the current one in the Tresorit web application.
- After the process is finished you can see a list of folders which could not be transferred.
You can either click Done to simply close this window, or you can click Show not transferred folders to navigate to the remaining folders in the Tresorit web application.
🏆 Pro tip: Don’t forget to check the data which could not be transferred and back it up in case it needs to be stored.
In case all the necessary data was either transferred or backed up, your administrator can delete your old account which you won’t need any more.